Group Tuning Drills is a set of books containing the most basic chord progressions in 4-part chorale style. Each book is in a unique clef or transpositions, so that many different musical groups of varying size can use them. However, because these are tuning drills, musicians who play instruments that allow pitch-bending, such as strings, woodwinds, brass, and the human voice will get the most benefit.
The drills include inversions of the top three voices so that students can read through each voice of the drills easily without having to reassign ensemble parts. The name of the chord progression is at the top of the page of each set of chords, and each note has underneath it written what part of the chord it is. Each drill is numbered, so that an ensemble may easily find the same-sounding drill anywhere in their books. Feel free to look through these samples and use them as you wish:
The book’s layout is flexible to accommodate different ensembles’ needs. Possible uses include but are not limited to:
– Teaching and reinforcing basic harmonic music theory.
– Teaching the specific tuning tendencies of a piece of music; i.e., a brass octet rehearses an arrangement of Amazing Grace in F, and they rehearse every drill in F major and D minor.
– Teaching students to recognize what a root sounds like, or a third, or a fifth, and to recognize when they’re playing it by ear.
– Teaching advanced students to ‘lock in’ chords.
– Cycling through every key of one progression to reinforce how the same-written pitches in different chord tones in different keys may be tuned differently.
– Group warm-ups, to warm up both instruments and ears.
– Played very slowly, as group combined long-tone/intonation exercises.
– Sets of drills all in one key as a supplement (along with the traditional scale exercises) to teach a new key to young students.
The specific clefs and transpositions are:
C Treble Clef
C Alto Clef
C Tenor Clef
C Bass Clef
Bb Treble Clef
Eb Treble Clef
F Treble Clef
Each book costs $19, not including shipping. To request an order of these books, go to my Order Items page and specify who you are, your shipping address, how you want me to contact you, and how many of each kind of book that you want. When I contact you after you me send this information, I will tell you how much the shipping will cost and the total cost for you to pay. For single, large orders of over 100 books I will waive shipping costs within the U.S.
I keep a supply of materials and books on hand, so I can ship out modestly-sized orders as soon as I receive payment. However, for large orders (especially large orders of a single kind of book) please allow 2-3 weeks for me to ship the books, because I will have to outsource some of the book binding to a local company. If you want a transposition that I have not listed here (for example, G treble clef for alto flutes), please let me know. I will charge extra for creating the new book; I have only created the seven listed above because I do not anticipate any demand for books in the rarer transpositions.